Why use probiotics for birds?
A robust population microflora, or gut bacteria, is an essential element of good health in all animals. A bird with a healthy gut will gain weight quickly and be more energetic. It will also be less likely to suffer from illness and will recover more rapidly in the case of infection. This is because gut bacteria both assist in digestion, making more nutrients and calories available from food, and inhibit the growth of pathogenic bacteria that cause ill-health.
With all of these benefits, it is little wonder that our birds can significantly suffer if they do not have healthy and balanced microflora.
What affects avian gut health:
Stress: Stress can lead to changes in the gut, so when birds experience extreme weather, moulting, breeding or even the excitement of racing, this will impact their microflora.
Diet: Diet change and poor diet can also affect gut health, often leading to deficient levels of beneficial bacteria.
Medication: While treatment with antibiotics, dewormers and other medications are necessary for bird health, these drugs do not always distinguish between good bacteria and harmful bacteria. It is therefore vital to repopulate a bird’s gut with beneficial bacteria after using these treatments to prevent the establishment of pathogens.
Illness: Pathogens can affect the gut directly, while other diseases do so indirectly, through stress, dehydration and poor appetite.
Poor living conditions: Crowding often leads to an unclean environment, which can harm gut bacteria through stress and contact with pathogens. Furthermore, birds with access to the outdoors are likely to pick up diseases and harmful bacteria from wild birds and insects.
Has your bird had a decline in health? Studies continue to show that the therapeutic use of probiotics will help in the following ways:
- Birds in sub-par conditions will show better weight gain and overall health if treated with probiotics.
- Probiotics can improve resistance to infections such as salmonella, E. coli, Candid, worms, coccidiosis and other common avian diseases, in chickens, pigeons and other caged birds.
- Hand-reared chicks treated with probiotics show more healthy gut bacteria and increased resistance to stress and disease.
- When you use in combination with electrolytes and vitamins, probiotics can halve the recovery time of racing pigeons on their return to the loft.
- If using after administering medications such as antibiotics and dewormers, you will find that probiotics hasten recovery and prevent subsequent infection.
When to use probiotics
The best cure for any illness is prevention. Probiotics are an essential part of any bird health management program. From laying hens to breeders, and racing pigeons to show birds, administering probiotics every 2 to 3 weeks may result in birds that are healthier and more robust. It can also decrease disease and infection in your loft or coop, and help you get the most out of your feed. Avian probiotics should also be a go-to supplement when birds are breeding, moulting, racing or experiencing stress and illness.
2 Pak Probiotic with Acid is Australia’s leading multi-strain probiotic for birds. Containing Protexin ©, the most advanced avian probiotic blend, it includes eight strains of bacteria and yeast which have been selected explicitly for improved health in poultry, pigeons and other birds. Additional organic acid stabilises the pH. This acidifies the drinking water, providing further protection against the spread of disease amongst your birds.
Don’t wait for your birds to fall ill; Add 2 Pak Probiotic with Acid to your pigeon or chicken health management program today.
2 Pak Avian Probiotic (200 g) details
- 200 g bottle containing up to 200 doses.
- The Protexin © Probiotic is Australia’s only nationally registered probiotic approved for administration to birds, including pigeons, chickens and other caged birds.
- Active ingredients include: lactobacillus delbrueckii, lactobacillus acidophilus, lactobacillus platarum, lactobacillus rhamnosus, bifidobacterium bifidum, enterococcus aecium, aspergillus oryzae and candid pintolepesii.
- All bacteria and yeasts have been specifically selected for their importance to avian intestinal health.
- Extensive research and development have resulted in a probiotic with special “protection” ensuring that the highest possible number of beneficial bacteria and yeasts survive the bird’s crop and stomach, in order to populate the gut.
- Organic citric acid is used to lower the pH of drinking water, preventing the growth of pathogenic bacteria, such as salmonella and E. coli, which are inhibited by an acid environment.
- Safe for use with breeders, show birds and racing pigeons.
- Water-soluble powder form.
- Versatile administration options, including through drinking water and in the feed.
- Includes a convenient 3 g measuring spoon.
- Manufactured in Australia by Mineral Energy Pty Ltd.
How to use 2 Pak Avian Probiotic
2 Pak Probiotic with Acid is designed for regular use with pigeons, poultry and other caged birds. You can administer the probiotic through drinking water or feed.
- To administer through drinking water, add 1 g of 2 Pak powder per 1 L of water. Prepare fresh daily.
- When administering through the feed, add 1 g of 2 Pak powder to 1 kg of grain pre-moistened with seed oil at a rate of 1-2 ml per kilo. Mix well.
- As part of a regular health management program, 2 Pak Probiotic should be used twice a week for the best results. You can increase the dosage to 5 times a week for birds experiencing illness or stress; this includes breeding, moulting and racing, or after treatment with antibiotics or dewormers.
Probiotics can be used to treat mild cases of avian illnesses such as salmonella, E. coli, yeast and coccidiosis, but should not be used in the place of antibiotics where the infection is severe or no improvement is shown after 1-2 days. Avian antibiotics such as Oxymav B should be used in this case, and followed by a 4-5 day course of 2 Pak Probiotics to prevent reinfection and improve recovery.
Always read instructions carefully before use. This product is not for human consumption.
Store 2 Pak Probiotics below 30oC. Refrigerate after opening.
Dine A Chook shipping charges are outlined below and are for all Australian and New Zealand orders.
|Up to 1kg||$9.95|
|1 - 3kg||$12.95|
|3 - 5kg||$14.95|
|5 - 7kg||$19.95|
|Over 7kg||Calculated at checkout|
|Order over $199 with a total weight under 7kg - Excludes Bulk Bird Netting||Free Shipping - Use Coupon Code 'Free Shipping'|
How is your order shipped?
All Dine A Chook orders are sent using Australia Post unless otherwise stated. All orders require a signature at the time of delivery unless you provide an authority to leave. We deliver to Residential and Business addresses, PO Boxes and Parcel Lockers.
Every Dine a Chook delivery is completely insured for the total value of the items despatched and insurance coverage includes loss and damage during transit. In the unlikely event, you receive a broken item contact our office via the contact us page within 3 working days of signing for the goods so we can arrange for a replacement.
|State||Estimated delivery (business days)|
|New South Wales||3-5 days|
|South Australia, Tasmania & ACT||6-8 days|
|Western Australia & Northern Territory||8-12 days|
With the exception of busy times of the year, orders received before 11am are generally shipped out that same day.
Q. How do I administer the 2 Pak Avian Probiotic?
A. This probiotic can be added though your bird's drinking water or through their feed.
Q. Where is this made?
A. 2 Pak Avian Probiotic is made in Australia