Chicken Nesting Box Herbs
Calm your chickens by adding our sweet-smelling Nesting Herbs for Hens to your chicken coop. The array of aromatic herbs and flowers has been carefully selected for stress-reducing qualities and the reputed ability to combat bacteria and fungi, and to deter insects, parasites and other pests.
Promote happy, healthy hens with good nesting and laying behaviour with Nesting Herbs for Hens.
Why should you use Nesting Box Herbs?
Before the advent of modern medicine, herbs were used for everything from treating the common cold to curing disease. And while it is certainly a good thing that we now have access to antibiotics and vaccinations, we should not forget the benefits of herbs.
Even today, permaculturalists recommend putting fennel fronds in your nesting box to deter lice and mites. But fresh herbs put directly into the nesting box can encourage damp and mould. That is why we recommend using a dried herb blend instead, like our carefully selected Nesting Herbs for Hens.
Benefits of aromatic herbs in the chicken coop
- The aroma of herbs helps combat unpleasant odours
- Herbs have the ability to calm and relax
- Herbs can help reduce stress and anxiety, improving well-being
- Strongly scented herbs may be effective pest deterrents – just as putting a sachet of lavender in your cupboard can deter moths, the addition of nesting herbs to your chicken coop can help deter lice, mites, flies, parasites, pests and even rodents, all of which dislike strong scents
- Many common herbs have antibacterial, antifungal or antimicrobial properties, helping reduce diseases in the chicken coop
- One of the most common causes of respiratory illness in chickens is fungal growth in wet litter, so herbs with antifungal properties can help prevent respiratory illness
Features of Dine a Chook Nesting Herbs for Hens
- A highly aromatic, pleasant smelling blend of top-quality herbs
- Carefully selected for beneficial properties
- Calming and stress-reducing
- Reduces unpleasant odours in the chicken coop
- Promotes the health and happiness of your hens
- May help to deter insects, parasites and rodents
- May combat unwanted bacteria and fungi
- Safe for chickens (even if eaten!)
- Ideal for addition to nesting boxes, coop litter and dust baths
- 100 % pure, dried herbs
- Completely compostable
- Free from additives, chemicals, preservatives and colours
Nesting Herbs for Hens contains:
Bay leaves – As well as having antibacterial and antifungal properties, the warming aroma of bay reduces stress and anxiety, and promotes respiratory health
Calendula flowers – This herbal anti-inflammatory has antibacterial properties and if your chickens happen to eat some, it will also make gorgeous yellow egg yolks
Lavender – Lavender is known for reducing stress and deterring pest insects
Rosemary – As well as deterring insects, pests and parasites, rosemary is a strong promotor of respiratory health and memory
Dill – The scent of dill promotes calm and this vibrant herb also has antifungal properties
White cornflower petals – Traditionally used in a range of medicines, including as a respiratory support, cornflower has calming properties and combats fungi
Peppermint leaf – The relaxing scent of peppermint is a deterrent for insects and rodents
Rose petals – Chickens love the pleasant, calming scent of rose petals, and we love the antibacterial and antiparasitic qualities
Reputed benefits of Chicken Nesting Box Herbs
How to use Chicken Nesting Box Herbs
Using Nesting Herbs in your chicken coop helps keep your chickens calm, happy and healthy.
Use Nesting Herbs for Hens by sprinkling generously over fresh nesting material and floor litter. Reapply whenever you clean the pen or more often, as needed. Our Nesting Herbs are also a recommended addition to dust baths.
Store in an airtight container in a cool, dry place. Keep away from direct sunlight and heat sources.
Nesting Herbs for Hens are intended for animal use only, although they do make a very nice potpourri! While the herbs we have selected are safe for hens, and your birds may benefit from occasional consumption, this product is not intended as a food and should not be deliberately fed to chickens or other animals.
Dine A Chook shipping charges are as per below and apply to Australian orders only. International orders are calculated by weight at checkout.
|Up to 1kg
|1 - 3kg
|$11.95 - $14.95
|3 - 5kg
|$14.95 - $18.95
|5 - 7kg
How is your order shipped?
All Dine A Chook orders are sent using Australia Post unless otherwise stated. All orders require a signature at the time of delivery unless you provide an authority to leave. We deliver to Residential and Business addresses, PO Boxes and Parcel Lockers.
Every Dine a Chook delivery is completely insured for the total value of the items despatched and insurance coverage includes loss and damage during transit. In the unlikely event, you receive a broken item contact our office via the contact us page within 3 working days of signing for the goods so we can arrange for a replacement.
|Estimated delivery (business days)
|New South Wales
|South Australia, Tasmania & ACT
|Western Australia & Northern Territory
With the exception of busy times of the year, orders received before 11am are generally shipped out that same day.