How to Prevent Chicken Respiratory Illnesses Naturally
Preventing illness with the use of natural methods and treatments is the best way to keep your chickens healthy.
While often overlooked, environmental stress is a leading cause of many chicken illnesses. Environmental triggers that can cause infection or illness include:
- Extreme temperatures - either cold or heat
- Poor living conditions
- Health issues like mites and worms
- Transportation, showings or the introduction to a new flock
- Natural processes that put a chickens body under stress such as moulting and breeding
Even the most dedicated backyard chicken keeper cannot stop birds from moulting or avoid extreme temperatures. But there are things we can do to help our chickens cope with these stresses and to protect them against Chicken Respiratory Disease (CRD) and other infections.
VetRx is the Best Way to Prevent Chicken Respiratory Illnesses Naturally
VetRx is a high-quality remedy for chickens as well as other poultry. It is the healthy choice with 100% natural ingredients. It helps prevent parasites and disease in chickens and other poultry.
It is developed to treat the symptoms of respiratory infection in chickens. Particularly useful in preventing and treating Chicken Respiratory Disease as well as related illnesses, VetRx also provides relief from symptoms of illness such as breathing difficulties, coughing, sneezing and wheezing.
The disinfecting qualities are suitable for use throughout the coop to help prevent the incidence and also the spread of CRD.
How to use VetRx
Use this natural remedy warm unless otherwise specified. Heat at medium temperature in a small pan of water (the bottle should be open) until you reach a liquid state. To make a VetRx solution, mix 1 teaspoon of warm VetRx with 1 cup of very warm water.
To use VetRx to help prevent Chicken Respiratory Disease:
1. Disinfect your chicken coop
CRD and other infections are caused by bacteria. This spreads quickly among chickens. Use VetRx to disinfect the chicken coop and you may prevent this spread.
- Spray the VetRx Solution over your flock
- Disinfect litter by sprinkling with a few drops of VetRx every 4-5 days
- Sterilize nesting and roosting areas by spraying with VetRx Solution
2. Clear the air
The remedy can also be used in a vaporizer (a hot water model only) as a fumigant. Use 1 cup of full strength remedy mixed with water according to the manufacturer’s instructions and operate for 1 hour while the flock is roosting.
3. Build flock immunity
VetRx given directly to chickens may also help to build immunity or fight off disease. If your birds have been exposed to an infection or stress event, or they just appear to be under the weather, do the following:
- Add a few drops of warm VetRx to clean, cool drinking water provided in a bucket or other similar container (not suitable for use with nipple or cup drinkers).
- Rub 1-2 drops of warm VetRx over the heads, wings and eyes of birds.
VetRx treats the symptoms of Chicken Respiratory Disease
In addition to preventing CRD, VetRx Poultry Remedy may be used to treat the symptoms of respiratory infections. Use VetRx on its own, or combine with a broad-spectrum antibiotic.
The following methods are recommended:
- Drip VetRx Solution into the bird’s nostrils
- Place a few drops of VetRx Solution down the bird’s throat at night
- Rub warm VetRx over the head and under the wings of the affected bird
- Keep the nostrils, eyes and throat as clean as possible by swabbing the throat and washing the head and eyes with VetRx Solution 4-5 times a day.
- In severe cases, a double-strength VetRx Solution (1 teaspoon of VetRx to a ½ cup of water) can be used.
As with all illness, good hygiene is crucial. Sick birds should be removed to isolation immediately and the coop thoroughly cleaned. VetRx should be used with the rest of the flock, as detailed above, in order to help prevent the infection from spreading.
If symptoms of illness persist, consult your veterinarian.
For more information see our Expert Advice on Identifying and Treating Chicken Respiratory Disease