Best Chicken Names
Give your new chicken a name it can identify with. Afterall, a bold hen that loves to strut her stuff must have a name that equals her audaciousness. A name like Jane simply will not do her justice at all.
Fluffy yellow chicks can be a little more difficult to name, particularly since one can look no different from the other. Plus, if they are only newly hatched you may not be able to tell if it is a male or female baby chick.
Don't forget to involve the children in the naming process, this will help them to bond with their feathered pet.
How to train your chicken to recognise their name
Did you know that chickens can recognise their own names? Getting on a first name basis with your birds will only enrich your relationship and build trust - helping you to become one of the flock.
Why its important to have a good relationship with your chicken
- She will come when called. Helping you to put her in her coop safely if there are predators about or if weather is about to turn nasty
- If you are able to handle your chicken without them running away it will aid in identifying any illnesses or weight-loss early
- Being seen as one of the flock will help you to apply medication or ointments if necessary
Train your chicken to recognise their name in a few simple steps.
- Give your chicken a simple name that you are comfortable calling out at high volume regularly
- Gather some treats in a container or tin. We recommend using dried meal worms as they are both healthy, yet tasty (for the chickens)
- When you are in close proximity to you chicken, call out her name while shaking the bag - or tapping on the tin. Make the treat obvious
- As your chicken comes closer, reward her with a treat while still calling her name. This helps to establish a connection between you calling them and a reward.
- Repeat this daily.
Give your chicken a name, and let her hear it often calling her for meal times and when free-ranging time is over.
Names for bossy hens
Is your hen a bit sassy, a touch stubborn and high up in your flock's pecking order? She is the boss, and she knows it! We have just the name for her:
- Attila the Hen
Names for Hens who are amazing egg producers
If egg laying were a sport, would your hen get a gold medal? These names are perfect for your layer
- Egg Nog
- Henny Penny